Locked with A Very Angry Kid

|
I'm neither an educator, counselor, nor a therapist. I'm a scientist. I don't deal much with human emotions. Yet, I'm working with children with all kinds of problems and I feel a nagging guilt if I ignore them. God must have given me a large portion of patience to endure this job where rugrats are bouncing my way.

I've read books on how educators deal with angry, problematic, traumatized, difficult children, but I've never actually met them in my whole life, until today. I was in the room with one of the children who's notorious for his short temper and melancholic mood. I won't classify him in any group of disorders since I don't even know if his temper is a disorder, but anyway, I know that something need to be done to this kid.

He's one of the geniuses of the school yet his beautiful mind is not as beautiful as his behaviour. First, he has a dirty mouth. Second, his temper freaks out anyone who's in contact with him, and I can't believe the only way they deal with him is to ignore him! Am I the only one who thinks that this kid needs help? Oh well, I know I have Miss Universe's Personality who fights for world peace and feed the hunger, so anyway, at least working with this exceptional child is a unique past-time activity :D.

So...he threw a ball of paper on my face and I almost lost my temper and sent him out from the room. I didn't expect he's going to throw his tantrum outside the class and become an attraction for curious children who are getting ready to go home. Out of guilt for causing the commotion, I dragged him to the counselor's room, since the counselor wasn't here so I was alone in the room with him. I let him rolling on the floor crying and silently doing my things. The principal came and I nonchalantly explained to him what happened while actually fear for my life deep inside (that kid was holding a pair of scissors in his hand and he could stab me anytime, later on I found out that he's not that kind of person, but still I wouldn't let my guard down).

Honestly, I didn't know what to do. I just sat there and gave him a box of milk, some water and a book to write whatever he feels in a word. I really didn't know what I was doing but at least I wanted this to workout. So from an angry monster he's back to a little boy who needs his dosage of TLC.

And that's another day for Miss Teacher.

No comments: