|
My dear fellow South East Asian..
55th post..

Questioning the culture..

I began to ask about our culture. It didn't just popped out recently, but I've been thinking bout this matter for quite awhile. Nowadays, you must have heard bout J-culture, K-culture growing in our (SEAsia) region. Modes, hair styles, language, anything, just name it, must have connection with these J or K. Just go down to Bangkok, or Jakarta, Surabaya, or Manila..you can see some J or K wannabes walking down the mall. Read popular teen mags, all about these trend. Hairstyle, clothes..anything. I'm not a stylish person, and I'm not so into modes or anything but it just tickle my mind. We are so absorbed with this culture. In fact, we are copying them..we are just copycats.. why can't we develop our own culture, our own style without copying others?? Well, we can take them as reference, but please, not copying. I'm not saying that I hate this. I love their culture. I love Anime, K-series, their cute guys, their movies, creativity, economic growth and development. But, it's just very irritating to see we as South East Asian can't develop our own style, our own identity. We have this tendency to make similar TV series, similar appearance. We are smart enough to make our own "culture", our own hairstyle, our own TV series..why can't we. We don't have to own those small eyes, fair skin, and straight hair to be called fashionable..