Happy Songkran!!

|
The Big Bang Theory S02 still streaming and while waiting I thought to myself, why don't I just post a blog post.

Just got back from Khaosan road; tired, hungry and sunburned. Going to Khaosan Road to play Songkran this time was really something and..eventful. Not that I never traveled to Khaosan road before, but if you all following the news about Bangkok, Thailand is politically not in good condition and these Red-shirt people are rallying, blocking some roads for the past four days. Their purpose is (as I read in the net) to let other countries know that Thai people are not okay with PM Abisith's corrupted government..or something like that. They are supporting the former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, I suppose.

On the way to Khaosan ( I took motor-taxi) they block the road to Democracy Monument (the three junctions that are coming to Democracy Monument) with empty buses. Luckily, I was using motor-taxi so the drover could make a way through.

So I arrived save and sound nearby Khaosan (some other road, which name I forgot), yet, halfway, the official closed Khaosan Road and saying something in Thai which I understood as "the country is in bad condition, please stop playing and go home, since it's unsafe to play". Since it was in Thai, most foreigners did not understand the message and keep playing while the Thais were leaving Khaosan Road and went to play somewhere else nearby. So they tried to announce it in English, saying," Songkran close. All go home." I found it funny, since it was in English (I didn't mind the brokenness) it's like saying to the tourist to go back to their countries! Thailand is losing $5.6 billion thanks to this weekend mayhem (as BBC News reported), and the way the official said it confirming the ugly situation the country is going through that it's unsafe to be in this kingdom, which lowers down their income from tourism. Aaannyywwayy...those people were still throwing, shooting, spraying water and smearing faces with powder in that area, except on Khaosan Road, like nothing was happening. The night was approaching so we went back to my friend's room in one of the(nice-cheap)guest houses in the area, spotting smoke floating in the air.

Watching the news, I just found out that the ugly condition had gone uglier. First, there was a violent clash between protesters and the army. More than 70 people got injured. Second, they blocked some main roads with buses (like I said, which I would go through in order to get to nearest BTS station), and third, the smoke we saw earlier came from the buses that blocked the road; they were burning the poor buses! So I tried to find alternatives to go home. Since they're blocking some of the arteries, I couldn't take buses. Taxi is a bit costly and don't perform maneuvers like motor-taxi does. But I didn't want to take tuk-tuk or motor-taxi cause I was already clean and dry. There are maybe some other alternatives but I couldn't think of any since I was worried; one of the violent clash between protesters and the police was on Petchburi Road where the Indonesian Embassy is even though it wouldn't make any different since I don't bring my passport, and near Democracy Monument, not very far from Khaosan Road.

In the end I decided to take taxi to the nearest BTS station. So I called a taxi while those guys shooting my pantat (read: bee-you-tee-tee) with icy cold water as I was bending down bargaining with the driver. Luckily the taxi driver had a number of flying (or driving) hours; he knows how to get to the nearest BTS station through roads in the middle of nowhere.

So..here I am, safe and sound at home (thank God!) writing a blog post, eating donut while The Big Bang Theory Video is streaming. The trip was worth it, I got to see God's artistic touch on male Homo sapiens sapiens (read: cute guys *grin)

No comments: